Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Stranger

Water drips in the distance,
The insects wiggle afar;
I lie here half-awake, yet self-aware.

He calously calls out to me,
'You're a fool!', he says;
I lie here in misery, yet numb to pain.

The wind chimes are silent,
The moon is eclipsed;
I lie here in darkness, yet there is light.

He again roars in my ears,
'She's a liar!', he says;
I lie here in disbelief, yet there is deceit.

The vultures knaw at the old flesh,
Thrown out when new skin is found;
I lie here naked, yet I do not feel ashamed.

He now whispers to me,
'No one cares about you', he says;
I lie here waiting, yet she does not come.

The voice seems familiar,
'Who could it be?', I ponder;
I lie here questioning myself, yet there is no answer.

Could it be a stranger?
Or someone close to me?
I lie here afraid, yet curiosity gets the best of me.

My limbs betray me,
As did my mind so long ago;
I lie here helpless, yet I long to see the stranger.

But then he lifts the curtain himself,
And I come face to face with him;
I lie here bewildered, yet I see a familiar face.

It is me, myself, I,
The stranger is me;
I lie here torn apart, yet I am whole.

The jeers continue,
And the taunts don't end;
I lie here listening, yet I wish I were deaf.

The stranger, or my other half,
Sits there with a smile;
I lie here hurting now, yet only for a while.

The vultures seem to be a better end,
For they knaw only at flesh;
I lie here with my soul violated, yet I have no choice.

For eternity, the stranger plagues me,
No one else understands his words;
I lie here without wings, yet the vultures fly away.

5 comments:

lizzie said...

I really appreciate people like you,who can so easily put down the bitter realities of life so beautifully into words....

Sometimes I also feel the stanger in me is my biggest enemy making me realise the painful truth...snatching away my numbness and bringing me back to world of deceit and lies...
but thats this life you have to live with this stranger everyday...


btw you have got such an amazing blog with really nice work of yours why people dont bother to comment?? I mean you should be getting tons of comments filled with praise for such awesome poetry...

tc

lizzie said...

ah!!
I m again commenting:P
tats how much I loved ths poem!
You give words to me n my life!
Im in love with this poem and the other one of yours which I also posted on my blog:)

Pawail Qaisar said...

I appreciate your praise...'you give words to me and my life' reminded me of the song killing me softly. haha. anyway...i'm glad that there's someone in this world who I can relate to...and who can understand what I go through...

as far as the whole tons of people appreciating my work is concerned, i don't really know...maybe people don't bother.

lizzie said...

:)

people will always be people
least bothered
self-centered
even the closest people to you do such stuff tat you are unable to believe it.

zaza said...

wowwww wowwwwww this is brilliant..words strung together so well that they pierce the heart..

کاغز

ان کاغزوں کا کیا کروں تیرا نام جن پے لکھا تھا کورے رہے نا وہ، نا میں شائید ایسا ہی لکھا تھا